Practical nurses are integral members of the healthcare team and function under direct or indirect supervision of an experienced registered nurse. NMCC’s Practical Nursing certificate program is designed to prepare students to become licensed practical nurses. Graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-PN exam upon completion of the program.
- 9-month program
- Develop necessary knowledge/skills to provide nursing care throughout a patient’s lifetime
- Hands-on learning opportunities in healthcare facilities, campus Nursing lab and state-of-the-art simulation center
- Career pathway to Associate Degree Nursing program with potential for LPN advanced standing at NMCC (1-year minimum experience working as a LPN)
- Less debt with many students leaving NMCC debt free!
Once becoming an LPN, practical nurses can continue to pursue their Associate Degree in Nursing, to become a registered nurse. Once becoming an RN, they have the option to pursue a Bachelor’s in nursing, which would allow them to obtain management-level roles, or a master’s degree to become a nurse practitioner, a teacher, or a department leader.
- Physician offices
- Long-term care facilities
- Home healthcare services
- Traveling nurse
- 9% increase in employment opportunities through 2029 (65,700 new jobs)
- 2020 Median pay:
- $48,820 per year
- $23.47 per hour
*Data pulled from US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2021