Registrar Policies

See our Transcript Page to request transcripts and view associated policies.

Advanced Standing Policy
-By Examination: Students may be awarded up to 15 credit hours toward the requirements of a certificate, diploma or associate degree at NMCC through the General or Subject Examinations of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) examinations. The college accepts the American Council on Education’s (ACE) recommendations on acceptable scores and credit hours for the awarding of credit by examination. Whatever the ACE recommended score (General Examination or Subject Examination) is at the time of request shall be the college’s minimum acceptable score for the awarding of such credit. Requests must be submitted to the dean of students.
-By Work Experience: Matriculated students may receive course credit for substantial previous work experience directly related to required courses within the curricular programs in which they are enrolled, subject to approval of the appropriate instructors, department chairperson, and vice president. Any student seeking work-experience credit must submit a detailed resume of the activities or skills exercised on the job and a letter from the employer recommending the awarding of credit; the student must then be interviewed by the department chairperson and an appropriate instructor, whose recommendation must then be acted upon by the vice president.
Credit Transfer Policy
NMCC has several program specific transfer agreements with senior colleges and universities. Students interested in transferring to an institution to pursue a baccalaureate degree should discuss their goals with their academic advisor to assure appropriate planning of their academic coursework at NMCC and to maximize the amount of transfer credit. For the transfer of courses not covered by a current transfer agreement, the college or university to which the student is transferring has the final decision on acceptance of transfer credit.

Transfer credit from accredited institutions may be awarded for grades of C or better in courses comparable to those offered at NMCC. Requests for transfer credit must be submitted to the dean of students, who determines the acceptability of outside courses. Courses accepted for transfer credit are not included as part of any student’s grade-point average at NMCC. The college’s policy is to accept no more than six credit hours from another institution while the student is currently enrolled in a prescribed two-year program at NMCC.

  • A student wishing to attend another institution while enrolled at NMCC must make a written request.
  • Requests must be approved by the advisor, department chairperson and the dean of students.
  • The written approval and final grades are to be submitted to be recorded on the permanent transcript as transfer credit.

English Area Course Transfer: Any student transferring into a diploma program will be allowed to use up to six transfer credits in English in order to satisfy the NMCC English requirement. Transfer students entering our associate degree programs will be allowed up to six credits of transfer in English as long as the course content is directly related (Public Speaking for Speech, etc.).

  • Knowledgeable staff may be utilized to determine acceptability of transfer credit.
  • If course content is the same, similar or exceeds that offered at NMCC, full transfer creditwill be given.
  • If unable to determine acceptability, either the vice president, department chairperson or other knowledgeable staff member will be contacted for assistance.

Occupational laboratory credits are acceptable up to four full semesters (usually 24 credit hours).Credit for occupational lab may be fulfilled by one or more of the following methods:

  • Successful completion of a recognized apprenticeship training program approved by the Maine State Apprenticeship Council.
  • Applicants who have successfully completed a Journeyman’s Examination may submit written application for lab credit.
  • Applicants presently enrolled or having completed in-house training in which formal apprenticeship training or examinations are not used.

College Level Examination Program or the U.S. Armed Forces Institute – Students will be given up to fifteen hours towards a certificate, diploma or associate degree for CLEP or DANTES Examinations.
Nursing Program Guidelines:

  • Nursing course(s) must be repeated if the student took the course(s) more then five years previously. If the course(s) was taken within the past three to five years, the student may audit the lecture portion and does not need to re-do the clinical component.
  • Related science courses must be repeated if they were taken more then ten years previously.

For students interested in transferring credits from a Maine community college to a specific university within the University of Maine System, MaineStreet offers a list of courses for that community college that are typically recognized as equivalent courses, acceptable for transfer.

A student may drop any class during the first week of a semester without academic or financial penalty *. Students dropping a class after the first week of a semester will be charged the full amount of the class. For more information regarding withdrawal, see the college catalog.

Classes dropped after the mid-point of a semester will result in a failing grade.
* Winter Mini-Term
The regular add/drop policy does not apply to winter mini-term courses. Registration must be completed prior to the start of the class and no refunds will be issued for courses dropped after the first meeting of the class.

Withdrawal Policy
Any student withdrawing from NMCC is expected to complete an official withdrawal form which may be obtained from the dean of students. The student is also expected to have an exit interview. When circumstances prevent this, the student or parents should write to the dean of students concerning the reason requiring the student to leave. The date of withdrawal will be the date the student signs the withdrawal form; refunds are also established by the date the student signs the withdrawal form.

A grade notation of AW (Administrative Withdrawal) will be indicated on a student’s academic transcript for those students who have been involuntarily separated from the college (examples: disciplinary dismissal, non-payment of bills, etc.).