Practical Nursing Application Process
Applications for the Spring 2022 program are currently being accepted!
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit applications prior to August 1st to ensure sufficient time to complete the admission process. Candidates selected for admission will be notified when all documents and interviews are completed. NMCC does not maintain a wait list for the program. If you should not be selected for the current cohort, it is recommended that you submit an application for the next year.
The following items must be submitted to the Admissions Office to be considered for admission:
- Completed Application for Admission.
- Non-refundable $20 application fee ($15 for online application)
- Two confidential recommendations on official NMCC Reference Forms from professional or academic persons (new recommendations are required each year). Please print and use the required recommendation forms.
- Supplemental Questions – candidates are required to submit typewritten answers to a series of question developed by the Nursing Department Faculty and Director of Admissions and Outreach.
- Personal interview with the Nursing admission committee
- ACCUPLACER placement testing may be required for proof of college readiness
Program Prerequisites and Recommendations*
To be considered for admission for the Spring 2022 cohort, all prerequisites must be successfully completed prior to the start of the Spring 2022 semester:
- ALH124 – Health and Safety Compliance (Preferred grade of “B” or higher)
*Though not required, NMCC highly recommends applicants complete the general education requirements for the program prior to beginning core nursing classes to help reduce the amount of classroom/study time needed each semester in order for students to focus on core content and competencies.
The following general education courses are part of the Practical Nursing curriculum:
- ENG111 – English Composition (preferred grade of “B” or higher)
- BIO201 – Anatomy & Physiology I (preferred grade of “B” or higher)
- BIO211 – Anatomy & Physiology II (preferred grade of “B” or higher)
PLEASE NOTE: while there is not a specific math course in the PN curriculum, candidates need to show college level readiness in mathematics.
*The applicant is responsible to have the final grades from prerequisite courses taken through another college mailed to the Admissions Office. If you are currently enrolled in prerequisite courses and/or required nursing general education courses, make sure the Admissions Committee is aware of the course, institution name and anticipated completion date. Applicants are strongly encouraged to follow up and ensure that all materials have arrived for your file.
The selection process used for the Practical Nursing program involves an objective assessment of each applicant’s academic history including prerequisite and college-level coursework, pre-admission test results, supplemental question responses, references, and personal interviews; interviews are scheduled with each candidate when all documentation has been received.
The Nursing Admission Committee reviews all eligible candidates and forwards recommendations to the NMCC Director of Admissions. To be seriously considered, applicants must:
- Earn A’s or B’s in all prerequisite coursework (higher grades carry more weight in the selection process);
- Earn A’s or B’s in academic courses (high school and/or college) relevant to the nursing program;
- Provide well-constructed, thoughtful answers to the supplemental questions;
- Ask for recommendations from individuals who know your strengths particularly as related to becoming a nurse. Keep in mind that recommendations are confidential and the content of these recommendations will not be revealed to you.
Candidates selected for admission must provide all required documentation and deposits by the date stated in Offer of Acceptance letter or admission will be revoked.
- NMCC Immunizations Requirement and Physical Exam Form – NOTE: All Immunizations, titers, physical exam as required on the NMCC Immunization Requirement and Physical Exam form must be completed and documented by an appropriately licensed healthcare provider.
- Health Inventory
- $100 classroom deposit (required if not already enrolled at NMCC)
- If applying for on-campus housing, submit an additional $100 deposit
- Offer of Acceptance Form
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers Level certification
Once all of this information is received, an official letter of acceptance will be forwarded to you.
For additional information, please contact us:
Northern Maine Community College
33 Edgemont Drive
Presque Isle, ME 04769
Phone: 207-768-2785 Fax: 207-768-2848
Hours: 7:30 am – 4:30 pm Monday-Friday or by appt.