- Physical activity including cardiovascular training, strength training, and flexibility conditioning.
- Recognizing illnesses, seeking medical care when necessary, and maintaining health screening schedules.
- Making healthy choices: nutrition, not smoking, using your seatbelt, using helmets and other protective gear.
- Moderate-intensity aerobic activity a minimum of 30 minutes 5 days a week or vigorous-intensity aerobic activities a minimum of 20 minutes 3 days a week or a combination of each.
- Moderate and vigorous activities are in addition to light activities of daily living.
- Muscular strength and muscular endurance of major muscle groups 2 times per week or more 10 – 15 repetitions and a minimum of 3 sets.
- Flexibility exercises 2 days per week or more for at least 10 minutes per day.
- Balance exercises to reduce the risk of injury from falls.
Being physically active is safe for most people. Take the Par_Q Questionnaire
to determine if you need to see your physician before you start a physical activity program.