A student successfully completing this program will be able to do the following:
- Demonstrate the ability to translate information from the medical record into standardized numerical codes accurately and in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors in the work place including patient confidentiality.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior.
- Demonstrate the ability to work with other people effectively.
- Recognize factors that affect third-party reimbursement.
- Demonstrate entry level skills in coding with ICD-9-CM.
- Demonstrate entry level skills in coding with CPT.
- Describe the relationship between coding and reimbursement in health care.
- Demonstrate clear and effective communication skills.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving within their scope of practice.
- Perform oral communications effectively.
- Apply written communications effectively.
- Proficient in word document processing.
- Format documents professionally according to current business and discipline preferences.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the accounting cycle.
- Utilize common business software proficiently.